Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Friday, November 5, 2010

Academic Choice

I know we didn't really talk about Academic Choice much this summer;however, it is one of the principles of Responsive Classroom and I have been thinking about it a lot lately. I have a great group of students this year who really work well together, but just like any six year old, the afternoons can be pretty tough for them. I was thinking about what I know helps them get through the afternoon and what are best times are.

Both of our best time slots during the day are when they are given the choice to choose their learning activity. After our math lesson, I have a shelf full of math manipulatives and games that I have introduced. The students are given a time to pick which activity they want to do. I especially loved this time period this week! It was so fun to see every single student in the class engaged and excited about doing math. Also, we have a literacy center time in the afternoon. The students are given a few choices within this time period as well. For example, at the ABC center they can use magnetic letters, stamps or wikki sticks. At the writing center, they can write stories in books or use pointers to read the room and write down letters. This time period is another example of every single student engaged in his/her activity and enjoying learning.

This week I was really thinking about how not only important it is for the students to be engaged but also for them to have the opportunity to use their creativity to create their own learning. The math shapes, number problems and creative stories could never all be created by me. Observing my first graders this week really reminded me of why academic choice is such an important piece of learning. As our days get busier and busier, we need to save some learning time for choice and exploration!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, giving students choice time to explore and learn on their own is incredibly important. When they leave school how else will they continue learning? I wish I could incorporate more choice time into my classes. I teach elementary art and I see each class for 50 minutes a week. I have a curriculum I need to get through just like every other teacher. I find myself so pressed for time during the year that I feel I cannot deviate from it in order to give my students choice time. Not to mention the time it takes to develop activities for them to choose and teach them how to use the activities. Somehow, I want to give my students time to create and explore art on their own without having to stick to lesson goals. How do you introduce choice time at the beginning of the year? How do you introduce a new activity? Do you always have the same activities available or do you add new ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I introduce choice time by modeling a few activities/items at the beginning and we practice choice time with all of them. Then as I add new things I either model them myself or have the whole class play the same activity before I add it. Throughout the year, I take some activities out and continue to add new ones. We make a sign of all of the choices we can do and then add to it as we add new things. Good luck fitting it in! I know it is always a challenge!

    ReplyDelete