Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Look, Sound, Feel






I have noticed that when we have an "off" day or something arises about listening and what types of behaviors are expected I like to throw up the circle and slice it into the three categories, Look, Sound, Feel. However when we are filling out the graphic we rarely are able to fill in the third category, the hardest, "Feel". Is there any suggestions on how I could get taht information from them? If not I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for maybe changing the titles of the three categories. Thanks much. Since I am in 4th grade I have attached what things look like in my class, obviously not as sophisticated as 3rd, 2nd, or 1st. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of doing a y-chart again when the kids are having trouble making good choices. I often refer back to the ones we've made, but on different days and in different subject areas, I can see it being helpful to make a new one.

    In response to your question about helping them with the feeling part, my kids' success with that varied from chart to chart. I found that it helped to do that area last and refer back to what they said it should look like and sound like. I ask them, "If we are actually doing the things we said in looks like and sounds like, how would that feel?" I'll sometimes prompt them with two different options to get them going (would you feel calm or stressed), but then they are usually able to give some more examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, I have the same problem with my students when it comes to the "feel" part. I do something similar to Erin. I come up with a couple prompts and exmples. "How would you feel if you were telling a story and someone interrupted you?" That really got my students going with their feelings. I also read the book The Way I Feel and we talked about feelings and emotions. That really helped them visualize feelings. The students have been much better at the feeling part after reading that book. They have a better understanding of feelings.

    I also really like how you have your hopesand dreams in a puzzle. Thats a great visual!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question, Ted. I agree with Erin and Heather. I just give scenarios and ask how they would feel. I have very deep thinkers in my class this year, so it helps. I liked your idea, Heather, about reading the story and talking about all of the feelings.

    I like your visuals, Ted! :)

    ReplyDelete