Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Monday, January 3, 2011

Modeling

I was just reading your posts about the Y charts, and I realized that I have been very lucky this year with my class knowing the rules, verbalizing them to me and following them. If they break a rule, I have frequently had students on their own say, "I deserve a consequence." I have not made as many Y charts as in the past years. Modeling is the key in my class this year. Any time that I notice we are getting antsy and things aren't going as smoothly as they should, I realize all I need to do is slow down and model this year. The students love to be the one to model, and they all get excited to do the activity just as well as the others who modeled it for us. I remember my facilitator saying, "Don't assume they know how to do things right away, or that they will always remember. Slow down and model it." Modeling has been great for me this year!! You all got me thinking that I should do more Y charts, though. Do you do them for hallways, quiet work time reader's workshop, etc.? How often do you do them? Thanks for the ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment