Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Sunday, January 23, 2011

They're Tired of Modeling

After reading through the last few posts, I felt the need to go back to modeling when the kids returned from Winter Break.  For my class, the biggest challenge is always transitions, so I started there.  I would have a student model picking up his materials and lining up for math.  Then the whole class would follow.  I would have a student model how to go from her desk to the meeting area, and then the rest of the class would follow.  They were very successful with this for a couple of days.  Then came the moaning.

After a few days of doing A LOT of modeling, my kids would groan every time I asked for a model.  I tried transitioning without a model, and they reverted back to their old behaviors.  I could tell they were sick of the modeling process, and I could tell that they knew what was expected.  Many just weren't doing it that way.

I decided to try something a little different.  I told the kids that I knew they were tired of modeling, and that I knew they didn't need me or anyone else to tell them how a transition should look.  I also explained that the reason we had been modeling so much, was that I wasn't seeing the majority of the class follow the expectations.  I asked them all to close their eyes and silently think through what our transition should look like and sound like.  After about 30 seconds, I said, "Go."  They all went to their desks quietly and efficiently, and waited for the next directions.

I'm not going to pretend this has worked every time, but I think my age group really appreciated the independence this "visualizing" process gave them.  I go back to this process once or twice a week, now, and there seem to be fewer groans.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. In first grade, they do love to be the "model" but I can tell the rest of them do get a little sick of watching people model the behaviors. I am going to try this. We are starting visualizing in reading, so it works perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 4th grade we are really tired of the "modeling" as well. They ask me why we always have to model, and I respond to the tune that if we would do it correctly we could skip it. We also started making classroom goals to have a total of 10 successful transitions a day. The problem with this is as a teacher trying to grab materials for the next activity it is hard to keep track of successful vs. unsuccessful transitions.

    ReplyDelete