Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Monday, February 21, 2011

Friend Activities

Recently in my classroom we have been having a large amount of "girl problems" in my classroom. A lot of the girls are complaining about each other and fighting over "are we friends, or are we not friends?" As a male I always feel inadequate in handling "girl drama" in my class. I have tried to highlight key characteristics of good friendship and what that looks, like, and feels like during our Morning Meetings. However I do not feel that this is being successful. Do any of you have some good ideas for activities or projects that focus positive friendships? If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Ted, I see how this is very hard! I am seeing the same things in first grade and I am sure it is even worse at your level. The one thing I have been doing is partnering kids up (during partner work) rather than letting the choose to elliminate some of the petty girl fights. This has worked well because I am choosing who they work with and I "break" up the groups. I will slowly release independence back to them when I think they are ready!

    I also met with all the girls and ate lunch with them and we talked about including everyone and it was a good time for the girls to share how it feels to be on the "outside" of the "group". This was the most powerful thing for them because a few of the girls felt bad that they were hurting other's feelings.

    I know it's a hard thing to deal with and I think you are doing everything right! I know it gets old going repeating rules and exercises over and over and over again but believe me, one day it will stick and they will get it, even if it's the last day of school or in the next grade!!! Keep it up Ted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if you would like this book for fourth graders or not, but we are going to start a project after spring break with our kids with the book Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud. It talks about how being mean to others empties their bucket and how doing nice things for others fills both of your buckets. Kathy has the book in her room if you want to check it out. I think it is a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the How Full is Your Bucket activities and it worked wonders! Great recommendation, Laura! It's a great book series!

    ReplyDelete