Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Monday, May 2, 2011

Consequences vs. Short Term Fix

One of the things I've really been thinking about in the past few weeks is my reaction to negative choices at school.  I think I tend to play it safe, fearing that I will go overboard with a consequence that is hurtful to a student.  I constantly hear stories from friends of "that teacher back in ______ grade" that did something so terrible.  These are adults that aren't able to let go of the incident that occurred in 2nd grade because it was so hurtful or undeserved. 

Because I always have that thought in the back of my mind, I think I walk a careful line between giving consequences that solve the problem for the time being and consequences that are a little more serious.  For example, if a student is talking in the hall, I move him/her to stand next to me.  Should I be having that student practice at a different time?  Am I being too lenient?  I know that the most helpful thing is to help that child make better choices in the future--that is my job and my desire as a  teacher.  But I think that looks different for every kid.  One student may need to be moved in the line...another may need to practice during Quiet Choice.  That's the part that makes it tricky.  There isn't one right answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment