Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Thursday, May 5, 2011

RC Year in Review

I have enjoyed implementing Responsive Classroom into my classroom this year. I can say that my greatest strength this year has been classroom management and I believe it is because of the responsive classroom framework. As much as I get sick of modeling over and over and OVER again it has really paid off. The things that were successful in my classroom this year were:


  • Hopes and dreams- the flower pot at the front of the classroom and the students can change their hope/dream each quarter.

  • Take a break chair and buddy room- The buddy room worked the best for my students. I also used a visual stoplight system that went along with the take a break chair and buddy room.

  • MODELING-over and over for EVERYTHING!!

  • Y Charts- What it looks like, feels, like, sounds like

  • Morning Meeting: This has become very repetitive but it has been something that helps the students get going in the morning and it helps me know what kind of day I am in for based on the students behavior!

  • Activities: I love the activity cards I made. When we have a few minutes of the students need to get up and move around I grab a card and we do a quick activity.

Next year I want build on what I did this year and learn more responsive classroom ideas from the website and my colleagues. I also want to work on making morning meeting not so repetitive. I want to find new ways to do morning messages and activities. It has been a great year and this blog has helped my get new ideas from my colleagues and keep my RC up to date! Thanks everyone for the great ideas!! Have a great SUMMER! 20 more days (but who's counting)!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've already pinned down some specifics to research and consider over the summer. ;) Have a relaxing one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did anyone purchase the book about Morning Messages last summer? I have the same concerns about wanting to shake things up during Morning Meeting, but I need some new ways to make the message interactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not buy the book but that's a great idea to look in to getting that!

    ReplyDelete