Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Monday, May 9, 2011

Reflection on the Year

This year, I have been pleased with a lot of the RC concepts that I have implemented.  The most effective thing, and the thing I have referred to the most throughout the year, has been the introduction of CARES.  Before starting anything new--group work, first substitute, field trips--we discussed which of the CARES we were really going to need and how that would look.  We also discussed CARES when we had problems to address.  It was nice to have common language and clear expectations.

The other thing I have found very effective is activity breaks.  Particularly at this point in the year, I can see when my students are starting to get antsy or completely glaze over.  I have a variety of quick activities I can pull from in order to wake them up or just shake up the routine. 

The main thing I'd like to work toward next year is keeping up a more positive environment throughout the whole year.  I think we all expect things to fall apart a bit as we hit spring and the kids are ready to be done, but I find that this time is far too stressful for the kids.  I would like to work on getting ideas really enlist their help in keeping the classroom environment positive through the end of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I have so enjoyed reading your (collective) blog. I hope the interaction and ideas have postively impacted your practice. :) Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete