Northeast Foundation for Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom approach. For more information, please see: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

responsive classroom (r)

I was pleased with the year and my focus on installing responsive classrooms. Improvements that I want to make next year include keeping the morning meeting interesting and exciting (as hard as they may be sometimes). This includes adding more greetings, activities, and sharing opportunities. In addition I would like to give more responsibility to the students as the year progresses. This includes allowing more choice in all aspects of the meeting. Also, I would eventually like to turn over the whole meeting by the end of the year and have it run by the students. I think this would be good for several reasons; public speaking, leadership, and responsibility. I am eager to find out if this would work in 4th grade or not. There is no doubt that I will continue endorsing responsive classroom ideology. Also next year I would like to include the "take a break/quiet place" for all students, and of course myself. I am still debating whether or not to have that inside the room or outside the room, and whether I want them to complete a check list or do some type of reflecting while they are refocusing. Overall it was a good year with RC and I hope to improve the skills I teach to the students.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ted. I am just perusing some RC websites as I get ready for my first year of Kindergarten. I wanted to let you know that in my former position in 4th grade, I had students run the meeting for over half of the year. They chose the greeting, led sharing, chose the activity, and led the message reading. They are CERTAINLY capable of doing it! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete